Is Bigfoot real? No one really knows for sure if the mysterious Bigfoot is an urban legend, folklore, myth, hoax, or actual fact/being. This enigmatic creature has gained the attention of believers and non-believers alike worldwide throughout the years. In fact interest on the topic of Sasquatch has gained exponentially over the years with mainstream society. There seems to be an unending demand for this hominid/cryptid and the paranormal including cryptozoology in general. There are copious amounts of documentaries and TV shows including the popular one “Finding Bigfoot” nowadays. The search for Bigfoot is very real and involves many individuals as well as organizations that actively study cryptids, investigate sightings, document and report on those findings.
The so called legend or story of Bigfoot dates back centuries. Bigfoot is said to be a hairy primate living being that roams the forests and mountains of North America and Canada. It is incredibly large in stature (approximately 7 to 10 feet tall), muscular, 500-900 pounds and with an overpowering, putrid smell. It’s believed that the creature is part man, part gorilla or ape, has brown or reddish-brown fur, and walks upright like a human being. This simian-like creature has been sighted in different regions of North America and Canada but most Sasquatch sightings occur in the Pacific Northwest. Wild Man of the Woods/Grassman and Hairy man traditional stories are found amongst the indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast and the American Indians across the country.
There has been an incredible amount of controversy throughout the years regarding the truth behind Big foot and whether or not he/she really exists. There have been many documented sightings, some of which have been proven to be childish pranks, hoaxes or honest mistakes. But what about the small percentage of other bigfoot sightings that cannot be explained and remain unsolved. There are credible organizations in operation throughout the country and around the world (comprised of researchers, investigators, scientists, archivists and journalists from very diverse backgrounds) that are committed to finding out the truth whether this Gigantopithecus type creature is truly out there.
Just the mere existence of these organizations would make someone believe that there has to be some validity or truth behind the existence of this creature known as Bigfoot. The main mission of these Bigfoot organizations is to uncover the truth about Sasquatch and find conclusive proof regarding Bigfoot’s existence. Many of these different groups also maintain a geographic database of all reported sightings of Bigfoot worldwide. One of the oldest organizations of this kind is the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization, or the BFRO, which began in 1995.
Does the Bigfoot Evidence Add Up
There are many different types of evidence that can be considered when trying to prove or disprove claims about Bigfoot. Eye witness accounts or observations, Bigfoot pictures, or other physical forms of evidence have been used by individuals making claims about the existence of this elusive creature.
Eye Witness Reports – there are an overwhelming number of eye witness accounts by individuals who claim to have seen Bigfoot with no other tangible evidence other than a visual observation. First and foremost, is the individual making the claim a credible witness? This form of evidence is weak at best because many people can be mistaken about what they have seen or can mix up their facts. If their observation is based on something they saw far away, or it was late in the day/dusk, or if the subject was partially covered by forest trees, the facts could prove to be distorted or unreliable.
Photographs and Videos – perhaps the most famous footage of Bigfoot was taken in 1967 in the mountains of Northern California by two men, Roger Patterson and Bob Grimlin, (PGF Film)which showed a large ape-like man walking in a mountainous area. The 16mm film has been studied by various experts over the past forty some years and has yet to be proven to be false or a hoax (according to Bigfoot researchers). This film appears to be the most substantial evidence that researchers have regarding the actual existence of Bigfoot. Most photos that surface can quickly be discredited as fraudulent, mistaken identity for some other forest animal like a black bear, or are blurry images that can’t be validated.
Physical Evidence – the discovery of footprints is among the most compelling evidence that a creature such as Bigfoot exists. These types of footprints are generally 16 to 18 inches in length and approximately 7 inches wide with no arch. Many times footprints are a hoax and have been fabricated to look like the footprint of Bigfoot. But again, there are those that cannot be explained or refuted (according to Bigfoot researchers). Other types of physical evidence like hair, blood or feces have never been validated as that of Bigfoot.
The mystery about Bigfoot’s actual existence remains inexplicable to the majority of people today. There is no conclusive evidence that this creature actually exists, even among the many sightings by credible witnesses throughout the years. If he is out there, or if there is a species of gorilla-like men roaming through remote mountainous regions of our country, they remain experts at eluding capture and keeping their existence a secret. And so the search continues. So is Bigfoot/Sasquatch real; we may never know!
- Bigfoot is one of the most famous examples of cryptozoology, along with the Loch Ness monster. The study and research of Bigfoot is considered to be pseudoscience by the mainstream.
- The term Sasquatch is an Anglicized derivative of the Halkomelem word sásq’ets. Most Bigfoot researchers believe the “animal” is a type of Gigantopithecus however there are some who believe it’s a type of Neanderthal, Homo erectus, or Homo heidelbergensis, however no remnants of any of those species have been discovered in the Americas.
- When it comes to Bigfoot they are several distinct types of evidence usually spoken of, which include the following: massive footprints, audio recordings, eyewitness sightings and somatic samples such as hair and scat.
- Bigfoot, Swamp Ape, Yowie, Yeti and The Abominable Snowman all seem to describe the same type of creature. Bigfoot investigators/researchers hypothesize they are all related biologically in one manner or another. Bigfoot-like beings, or “hairy hominids,” have been spotted around the world for decades
- In general it is the consensus that Bigfoot is a docile creature. It is a creature which does everything it can in order not to encounter human beings seemingly. If the creature is real it seems to not want to be bothered and to be left alone to live out their lives. However having said that, there are reports of Bigfoot reacting violently to human interaction, but these reports are rare.